Free books, as in free beer, and more

I had a lovely writing day and also built a writing-submission calendar in Google Calendars, sent out some pieces, scheduled submissions for the next three months, and basically worked on my writing mojo. Restoring my “writing self” has done wonderful things for my ‘tude.

Free books! Harper Collins has just started a blog, Library Love Fest, and they’re giving away books all this week.

It’s small press month. Take a small press to lunch! Or you could buy Powder, an anthology of writing by military women, including my essay “Falling In,” nominated for a Pushcart.  Perfect for getting ready for Memorial Day library book displays.

“I thought you might want to see this. This is the editor of the book talking about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.” Really, who can ever get enough of those Regency zombies?

ALA’s Washington Office has a short survey your library will probably want to fill out about what e-government and employment services your library is providing. “Your answers will help us greatly in our work with legislators in Washington DC, as we advocate for library funding and other library interests.” Deadline: March 20, 2009. Questions? Contact Jessica McGilvray at jmcgilvray@alawash.org

“On some days the most noise comes from the least informed audiences, most of whom have no MLS degress — work in some other occupation — but love to debate things.” — Jay Jordan, on commentary regarding the OCLC records use policy; 5 minutes, 50 seconds into the OCLC Update Breakfast, ALA Midwinter (Denver), January 25, 2009. But Jay — where is your MLS?

1. Cathy Doyle wrote:

Oh he really didn’t say that, did he?

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 9:24 am | Permalink
  2. ’tis there on the record…

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 10:22 am | Permalink
  3. Tim wrote:

He also said member input was only about the process, which doesn’t square with the ARL/ACRL report.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 7:18 pm | Permalink
  4. TNGEO wrote:

Free Books? Me too!

New editions of classic bestsellers looking for reviewers!

B&T, Ingram, B&N, Amazon, and others carry them, but I must get the word out. Lawrence Schoonover’s historic novels in 40-year-old earlier editions are still in hundreds of libraries around the country. I’m his great nephew and I’ve released newly designed editions of two of them so far (eventually to be nine): Queen’s Cross (Isabella of Castile) and Gentle Infidel (the Siege of Constantinople). Reply to this comment for more information. Or Google him, or check out Wikipedia.

FCPub-Contact at knology.net.

Thanks all, and good reading! -G

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Permalink
  5. Miriam B. wrote:

“Take a small press to lunch! Or you could buy Powder, an anthology”. Better still, ask your local library (or your own, if you command one) to buy _Powder_.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 11:36 pm | Permalink
  6. sylvie wrote:

love the link to library love.
    post reminded me: did I ever point you to this which you inspired?

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 8:13 am | Permalink
  7. Miriam, “you” could be a librarian, representing a library. :) Sylvie, I love that! I have a whole post on naming brews gestating in my head, and a beer called “Free Beer” surely has to be on that list (and perhaps one called “Free Kittens”)…

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 8:20 am | Permalink
  8. Jon Gorman wrote:

I’ve long since decided at some point I need to name a beer YAB, which will stand for “Yet Another Bastard”, “Yet Another Brew” or “Yet Another Beer” depending on the beer or my mood. For those less geeky than me, it’s a computer geek nod to all the “Yet Another” programs out there.

While I occasionally come up with names for beers (usually conjoined with things I want to try) I haven’t been very good about writing them down.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 9:46 am | Permalink