Cracked open my first bottle Friday (two weeks after bottling my first batch, 3 in a Bed Bitters from HomeBrew Den)… carefully tasted… yum, it’s delicious! Milder and less fizzy than I expected, but very good, and very fresh-tasting. It’s like homemade ice cream and sorbet: there is no substitute for the freshness.
For all the hoopla, this is really just a timeless kitchen craft (though the industry has figured out how to upsell with expensive equipment — there’s a whole lot of guys out on their back porches, with their turkey fryers and 15-gallon pots) but it’s a lot of fun.
I think what surprises me most about brewing beer is not making tasty alcohol, but making a carbonated beverage. I am very proud of my bubbles!
I’m bottling my porter this coming weekend, before I head to Code4Lib, then will make a batch from a kit I bought in California.
Posted on this day, other years:
- Practicing to be a Real Writer - 2006
- Tulsa World Harasses Blogger - 2005
- PubLib’s Best Books of 2004 - 2005
- Geoffrey Nunberg Hearts Librarians (But I'm Still Worried) - 2005
- Acosta's Latest - 2004
- Going to the Chapel... Oops! - 2004
- "'They Are Killing These People" - 2004